Sunday, December 12, 2010

Gas Properties

This was an experiment we did on our laptops testing pressure and temperature. I learned that neon, argon, and oxygen all started out as a solid, but they were all at different temperatures so that means they all change states at different temperatures. Another thing I noticed was that water was not really similar to any other one because it had three molecules to make each compound. Oxygen had two molecules combined to make one but it is still an element. Neon and argon are almost the same but neon had smaller molecules then argon. When I heated the neon it turned into a gas and the molecules went everywhere. When I froze it the particles slowed down and finally stopped and turned into a solid. At room temperature which is 9K the molecules of neon moved as one slowly and the molecules also shook.

In this test I measured pressure. I learned that when you press the lid down on something and add heat it will blow the lid off quicker that if you freeze it. I noticed that water could withstand the least amount of pressure. The one that can withstand the most pressure is argon and then neon and oxygen. Another thing I noticed was that when I added pressure to any of them when they were at room temperature they start to move a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment