Friday, January 14, 2011

What we have learned this week and things I want to learn

In this past week of school in science class we have learned a lot of new information. You might ask your self how can you learn so much in just a week, well that's simple we watched two Bill Nye the science guy and took notes in class on earths structure. For earths structures we learned how land, water, and air interact and that is by force(gravity), tides, natural disasters/resources, and physical features. I also learned about earths structure; round, 3 dimensional, different layers, has magma inside it, 75% water, and natural disasters. I also learned more about the layers of the world like; core is solid iron and it is about 1500 degrees C, outer core is made of iron and other metals, the mantle is gooey and over 1200 degrees C, the crust is made of many things and its temperature varies. I also learned; sometimes volcanoes blow up and other times they just ozze lava, when volcanoes go off it can help nature, geysers blows out boiling water. the core is solid. Other things I learned were; caves can be under water under ice , and under rock, limestone is calcium, when water gets into a cave it dissolves the limestone that it is filled with and when it dissolves it all, it becomes a cave. More things that I have learned are; caves do not change quickly, when water drips off stalactite and it gets on the stalagmite the water will dizzolve and the minerals will stay to make them but it takes a really long time to make them, lava and ice can make caves. And know I hope that you can see that I have learned a lot this week.

There are many things  I would like to learn in science, but I cannot learn them all this year.  The thing I want to learn about the most are the kinds of minerals and what exactly they are. I want to learn about minerals because that has always confused me a bit so I want to learn about it so I can understand it. The things I want to learn about for them are; how many minerals bare there and not just the general ones I want to get deep into them, and I also want to learn the names of all of them and what they do and are. Another thing I want to learn about minerals is how do minerals effect people, animals, and plants.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Abby, This is an excellent reflection on all the things we discussed this week. You have a good understanding of the main structure of the Earth and how caves are formed.

    We will definitely learn more about minerals, crystals, and rocks and how they are formed. The unit question is all about how we use the minerals and rocks and what the effects of that is. Prepare to be busy. :)

    ReplyDelete